The month of December is filled with expectation and celebration. Preparation is the key word for the first 24 days of December. Everyone is getting ready for Christmas. Too often, however, we are so busy with the material preparations that we lose sight of the real reason for our activity.
In the same way that a family eagerly prepares for a baby, so in Advent should we prepare for the coming of the Christ Child. We should keep Advent as a season of waiting and longing, of conversion and of hope and keep our thoughts on the incredible love and humility of our God in taking on the flesh of the Virgin Mary. Let us not forget to prepare a peaceful place in our hearts wherein our Savior may come to dwell.
The best person we can turn to for help during Advent is Mary, Christ's and our Mother. She awaited the day of His birth with more eagerness than any other human being. Her preparation was complete in every respect. Let's crown our preparation and borrow something of Mary's prayerfulness, her purity and whole-hearted submission to God's will.
In honour to our Lady Mary there are two especial Feasts to celebrate:
- On Tuesday, December 8 (at 7 pm.) we celebrate the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. The mass will be in English translations of the readings will be available. Note that it is she, Mary herself, who is the Immaculate Conception; the day does not refer to Mary's conceiving Jesus by the Holy Spirit, but it refers to the conception of Mary in the womb of her mother, St. Anne.
- On Saturday, December 12 (at 2 pm.) we celebrate the Feast of our Lady of Guadalupe. She is the Patroness of Mexico and the American Continent. She is also the Patroness of the unborn child. In December (in the year 1531), Our Lady appeared five times at the Tepeyac Hill in Mexico to Juan Diego.To read more about this marvellous event you can visit the following link: http://www.queenoftheamericasguild.org/BriefHistoryNew.html. The Holy Mass will be bilingual (Spanish/Dutch). Readings will be available in English. At the beginning of the Mass there will be a rose procession. Please feel free to bring some roses to put them before the image of Holy Mary after the procession.
Further we have two important announcements:
- On Sunday, December 13 after the mass, at the Verrijzeniszaal (coffee & tea room) there will be a presentation about the World Youth Days 2016. The WYD will be held in Krakow, Poland from July 25 and 31, 2016. Samuel and Amande from the Community of Shalom together diocese of Utrecht are organizing a group travel!
- There is a special confession program before Christmas:
- Monday 21st of December 8 pm until 8.30 pm confessions
- Tuesday 22nd of December 6.00pm until 6.45 pm and 7.45 pm until 8.30 pm
- Thursday 24th of December 4pm-4.30 pm
Confession is also possible at another time by making an appointment with Fr Henri ten Have (telf. 0317-419290)
We wish you all a blessed Christmas and prosperous year 2016!!!